Friday, April 26, 2013

Tecfidera: conquering the side effects. Notables. And the shoes of the Boston marathon runners?

     So I am at the end of week 2 out of 4 of my dose titration of Tecfidera.  And to my ecstatic surprise, the last 3 nights I have not eaten anything concurrent to taking my dose, and have not only not suffered any itching, but have not had even an inkling of any warmth, let alone the flashes.  I am so excited that it really is true, the side effects do lessen as time goes.    So now, I am not so worried about tonight's increase to 2 pills, or 240 mg giving me a flash similar to the first dose or the first increase.  Although, nothing has come anywhere near the flash I got the first night!  And I am baffled as to why the night time dose results in significantly more side effects than the morning dose.
    But as I progress through the next two weeks, I will be updating regularly, and almost exclusively until I am at the full dose...

     Then, we will start to have more fun here.  I need to get some of my jewelry projects going, recipes, DIY projects, and a little diabetic talk, but this Tecfidera is such big news, I felt it deserved priority for now.

     Hang in there....good times will come.  I even have plans for drawings for jewelry, craft books, craft items, group projects...  So share this blog with others, cause a drawing, or group project is no fun with just me!

     Other random notables for Friday:  My grandson, 13 mos., is now walking!  Yeah, and oh no all at the same time.  It's so fun to watch, but now he can reach more things cause he can see them better......yikes!  Time for some more baby proofing!

     I was a very bad girl, and ate a piece of pie each day for the last 2 days.  I know, I know....no no.  Don't tell my doctor.  But, I guess because I am eating very healthy the rest of the time, and it takes me about 2 hours to get through just that one piece,  it has had absolutely no effect on my blood sugar!  I am really surprised.  I thought it would hit me harder.  This doesn't mean I will do this often.  In fact, this is a rare occurrence.  It has to be.  The sugar addict in me will take over, and the next thing I will be back to my old junk food/sugar habits.

     Question:  What do you think?  Is it OK to indulge every once in awhile?  Or should one maintain their dietary restrictions?   Do I confess to my doctor?  My blood sugars stayed at 90's and the most 100.  I suspect some of this is because I am obviously not a brittle diabetic.  In fact having only been diagnosed 4 months ago, and being right on the edge to begin with, I think just cutting the sugars, and controlling my carbs has made a huge impact on my levels overall.

     Now, if I could just lose some weight!

     I found this great recipe for a fun summer 3 bean salad that I have converted to sugar free.  It includes my fav's: edamame and black beans with green beans.  I am threatening to add chicken to it the next time I make it!  I will get the ingredient amounts and get it posted here very soon,

     Lastly, I last night while online, I was my next wall decoration project:  Boston Magazine  (http://www.bostonmagazine.com/ ) created a large heart from the shoes of the Boston Marathon runners.  In the center of the heart it reads:  "We will finish the race".   I was very moved by this tribute, and very excited to read in the article that they are planning to release it it poster form, with the proceeds going to charity.  That is a poster I plan to not only buy, and frame, but put on my wall!  Inside the magazine will be several interviews of runners with pictures of their shoes.  Today News wrote an excellent article about this, along with a picture of the magazine cover!  http://www.today.com/news/boston-magazines-heart-shaped-shoes-honor-city-victims-6C9601866

     Be well my friends.

     I leave you with a copy of that magazine cover...

heart

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pamela! You should be commended for sharing your experiences with MS and diabetes. I wondered if you found switching from an injectable MS therapy to the oral caused a rise in your blood readings (which sound like you have nicely in control, btw). Keep up the good work! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete