Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Who is Not Pam?

When I was born, my parents didn't give me a middle name. On purpose. So whenever I got into trouble as a kid, I would hear "PAMELA" shouted in my direction. When my full name was called off the roster at the beginning of the school year I would yell 'PAM'! I didn't really have a problem with people calling me Pam, or at least I really didn't notice.

When I was 26, divorced, and a single parent I decided I needed a new identity to go along with my new job in a new city. I decided to go by my full name, Pamela. Now I wished I had a middle name. Desperately. Do you know how many people automatically shorten your name? Lots more will use the short version even though you introduced yourself with the long version! Lets just say I was always correcting people that my name was Pamela, not Pam.

Shortly after my move, I purchased a new car. I have always wanted personalized license plates, but after looking through the listing of taken plate names, I was discouraged. I ran through several stupid options like 'pamisme', or 'impam', until I corrected yet another person that my name is Pamela, not Pam. Well, it stuck, and the license division approved it too....Not Pam has been my license plate for the last 20 years. Then it became my email, my nickname, a joke....

Now I'm not as neurotic about what you call me. I do prefer Pamela, but if you call me Pam you won't get the lecture. Or the look.

No comments:

Post a Comment